Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sew, what do you know about machine brands?

I'm back. I'm sure you're all dying to know what machine I got. But alas, it hasn't come in yet. 

So instead, here's what I found out about the first three brands: Bernina, Viking and Baby Lock.

Picture from Bernina website.
Bernina truly is the Cadillac of sewing machines. What I learned is that they are essentially the only all metal machines left—and you pay for it. I visited a dealer and must say I was quite impressed with the brand. one interesting thing I learned is that Berninas have front loading bobbins. So instead of having a plate that you slide open and drop the bobbin in from the top, Bernina bobbins have a round case that the bobbin sets in and then the whole case snaps into place underneath the throat plate in a vertical position. This was very weird to me, but the sales lady assured me that it gives more flexibility with tensions and fabrics. She demonstrated some very neat stitching techniques with the machine that demonstrated this. I was also impressed by the flexibility Bernina provided on the stitch width and length as there were no limitations on how high you could adjust these on every stitch. Even though I was looking at a basic model, the Bernina 350 PE, it came with some nice bells and whistles like the hands free foot adjustment, which is a lever you move with your knee. This features works similarly to some of the sensor systems other machines have in that it allows you to move the presser foot up and down without ever taking your hands off of the fabric, only this Bernina feature is mechanically controlled by your knee and has no sensors involved. Another fun fact is that all of the Bernina presser feet are interchangeable on all their machines, which is helpful, because when a walking foot costs $200, you are going to want it to work on any Bernina machine you own in the future.

Ok, the bad news . . . this base Bernina model was over twice the price of comparable machines in other brands.

Husqvarna Vikings. The most interesting thing about this brand was the bobbin case and what it is made out of. Not sure what it is called, but it is a Teflon like material that is friction resistant. The limiting factor for me with this brand were the options in my price range. The H Class 100 was what I was looking at and I was not convinced that it would serve me completely well for everyday sewing given it was light weight. Additionally, I wish there were a few more digital options in my price range.


Fun fact, apparently Pfaff and Vikings are both owned and made by Singer.

Picture from Baby Lock website.
Baby Lock. In reference to my previous comments about lack of selection in other brands, I am extremely impressed with the number of machines Baby Lock has in a lower price range.
The ones I concentrated on were in the A-line series. I was immediately drawn to three of these machines and then asked questions to determine which would be the best for every day sewing. I asked about weight and use for larger projects, tension settings, and stitch adjustments. I happened to be taking a class at the shop that sold Baby Locks and the owner let me sew my project on the machine I had in mind! These machines are actually made by Brother but to a higher specification and from what I understand have few problems and are very good machines.

Ok, that’s three brands, I’ll review the other three and then reveal my choice, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment